Monday, August 20, 2012

Bye Bye Binky!

We have big news in the Scheungrab household! Isaiah Brent Scheungrab gave up his binky on Thursday, August 16, 2012!!!!! At 2 1/2 years of age he no longer needs a binky to sleep. Since he turned one he had only ever gotten it when he slept and on sick days. So in order for Isaiah to give up a binky, we settled on the plan Theo's mother suggested to us. Taking him to a toy store and allowing him to pick out a toy in replacement of the binky. So on Thursday we headed out to Toys R Us. First of all, let me note. Theo thought this trip was about him....apparently. He kept saying (like an excited 2 year old) "Oh oh! Isaiah should get this!" "Oh oh! Isaiah should get that!" I calmly reminded him that this trip was NOT for him and it was for Isaiah. Also we needed Isaiah to find a toy he REALLY liked else it wouldn't work. So after an hour of searching around the whole store....we found the Playmobile section! Isaiah decided he wanted the Playmobile Police Car and School Bus. They have lights that actually light up with NO SOUND!!!! *gasp* (Whoever creates Playmobile toys certainly has the parents best interests at heart! haha)So when he decided he wanted them and we decided that he would REALLY play with them, I got down on eye level with Isaiah. He had been carrying his binky around in his shirt pocket. Before we even went on this trip I explained to him that we would go pick out new toys and he'd have to give up his binky but it was because he was big boy etc etc. So when I got down on his level I said "You want these toys? What do you have to give Momma if you want the toys?" He pulled his binky out of his pocket and handed it over without only a thought of digging into his new toys. I explained to him that now that Momma has the binky that means it's no longer his. Here's where something soooo unexpected happened. My voice cracked and tears started streaming down my face. I was NOT prepared for that AT ALL! But low and behold...Momma was the one crying of the loss of a binky and Isaiah and Theo stood around looking at me bewildered! After we got home, he eagerly ripped into his new toys! When it came to bedtime however....we experienced a bit of a....well.....anger fit. We allowed Isaiah to take his toys to bed and were talking it up about him being a big boy and loving his new toys. He happily settles into bed and requests his binky. Imagine the shock when he was informed he couldn't have it. He threw the most angry fit he's ever thrown. He threw his toys at Theo and screamed that he wanted his binky back! Which of course...this action alone ended in a spanking. So it took him a good 15min to stop crying and just go to sleep. Let us note that he is still allowed to have his "Nuggers" which is a small blanket type thing that he sleeps with. So, after the first night, Isaiah has successfully gone to sleep with no crying. Occasionally he'll mention "No binky! I a big boy!" and I just tell him how happy I am that he's such a big boy and I love him. And he happily goes to sleep with his Nuggers. So Isaiah Brent, my first born child....is officially no longer a baby. :( Makes me sad, but I also find joy in the fact that he's moving on and growing. Thank you God for giving me a very healthy happy boy who grows and learns more and more each day! :) Here's a couple of picture of his "Binky-Replacement Toys". Also a sentimental picture of what used to comfort him to sleep. :)
Here is also a video of a clip from a Sesame Street Episode Isaiah saw awhile back. He sings the song pretty often. Thank you Sesame Street for making the "weeing off binky process" so much easier! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment