I can't believe it's come and gone already! It was a last minute decision to start school on Monday. (August 18, 2014) The week prior I was arranging my schedule...thinking about things and how busy September is going to be. It occurred to me that rather than start October 1st (because September is going to be INSANE), I should just start a couple of weeks early. Get in a few good solid weeks and then I won't feel so bad when we break. Not that it's honestly that big of a deal either way, but I would feel better. So the road to Kindgerarten officially started Monday, August 18, 2014. Both boys were very excited. They had each picked out a "School Box" and certain supplies so they've been eager to use them. Their "School Boxes" contained a brand new box of "Big" crayons, 2 big pencils, one regular #2 pencil with a grip to learn how to properly hold a pencil (for righties and lefties cause I have one of each. lol), a shiny new pair of scissors and a jumbo glue stick. The first day consisted of basically "testing" to see where the kids were at. They really did surprise me in some areas. Seriously, I'm not saying it because they're my children, but they are really smart. Even Collin, who more often than not, has his head up in the clouds. lol Once the initial first day was over we then began working on the areas that needed improvement. For Collin right now, main thing is learning colors. For Isaiah, it's identifying numbers (he can count...just doesn't know what numbers look like) and counting without stopping, to 20! Other things we're working on are writing/learning their names. What they look like, how to spell etc. Our general schooling format goes as such:
1) Get "School Boxes" and set them in their spots at the table
2) Meet in living room
3) Recite/Memorize Bible verse that is on the back of the front door
4) Stretch and do morning warm up routine
5) Go to kitchen table
6) Pray for the day
7) Go through Mickey Mouse Number Flashcards, sometimes play a game with them.
8) Go through Alphabet Flashcards, sometimes play a game.
9) Go through Colors/Shapes Flashcards
10) Draw the letter "I" (for Isaiah) and the letter "C" (for Collin) Talk about capital letters and little letters.
11) Isaiah-Does 2 mazes in his Maze book for critical thinking
12) Collin-Colors a picture by identifying what colors Momma says to use
13) Isaiah-Colors a picture and practices coloring inside the lines
And that's about it! Simple but they learn SO much! Sometimes they're focus isn't where it should be so we do less. Sometimes we do more. But that's the basic structure of our school day! And it barely takes an hour! We also have PLENTY of library books checked out along with Lit Kits! All for learning! I love homeschooling and I'm so grateful to God that HE allowed me to A) Stay at home with them and B) Teach them! It may get harder as they get older, but for now, I'm totally satisfied and grateful! Happy School Year Friends! :-)
Friday, August 22, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment